Points from gas stations

The math of winning at proline. Edge play, bankroll management and related issues.
tshi2015

Re: Points from gas stations

Post by tshi2015 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:17 pm

It's likely the retailer don't know how to process properly. If card don't scan, could be dust from scratching PIN obscuring the barcode

bangminton

Post by bangminton » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:42 am

No problem here, the 4-digit code is super small so it helps to scratch with a coin (man I miss the penny!) and ask the clerk to enter.

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:13 am

Update... No its not a cashier issue. Altho that is going to happen more times then not if you go to a new store.I actually took these non working cards to stores I can operate the OLG machine and yesterday they did not work but today they do. This was not a activation under 24 hours issues either.
Do not contact OLG. The one store I went to called OLG and OLG's solution was to mail in the gift cards as it was determined that the cards should be working and are not. Do not listen to OLG's untrained customer service . I just taped the print out error to the gift card and waited till the next day. Maybe these gift cards are like wine and letting them age makes them better.

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:40 am

I see OLG is taping a instructional piece of paper on some of the machines about these gift cards.
Ever since the change of shoppers optimum points to PC points I have not made any redemptions. I see the options are wider now that one can redeem at various stores. Just like maximizing earning points I make a effort to maximize redemption. Any ideas on this? Do they still have Redemption days where points have more value?Also do the new options for redemption give more ways maximize value? From what I can see it is 10000 points for $10 .

Biffalo Buff

Post by Biffalo Buff » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:43 pm

There are still bonus redemption events at SDM. If I recall correctly you can occasionally redeem $200 worth of points (200 000 points) for $300 of stuff. That stuff can’t be lotto or gift cards. I find it hard to spend $300 at SDM in one day (but comparatively easy at Superstore). So I usually let the Bonus Redemption events come and go without much thought. I spend my points at Superstore with Click and Collect (recently renamed PC Express). That my friends is a game changer.

bangminton

Post by bangminton » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:05 pm

Somebody (I think it was red) posted link to a Redflagdeals (RFD) thread earlier about the PC Optimum bonus points for OLG gift cards.

Not surprisingly, there is a thread dedicated to PC Optimum Points hacks and maximizing the values. Last I checked it is 180+ pages long so you guys are more than welcome to peruse for ideas at your leisure :)

I bet you guys most of those people who post in that thread could care less about ProLine or Sports in general but man can they ever come up with ideas to maximize points accumulation and redemption.

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:37 pm

RFD is great for deals, and yes people are very innovative! I think people have been paying attention because the OLG gift cards were swept clean in many SDM I went to lol.

btw tomorrow air miles is starting Shop the Block again, don't know what offers they will post but usually I try to shop 3 retailers to get the bonus miles

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:34 pm

Silly cards working on and off today. Very frustrating. Keep scanning after the return to customer message and all will work eventually but that is not practical.

I had a store not accept the cards saying we do not accept them lol. There was one of those cardboard instructional things about these cards hanging on top his machine as well lol ( OLG puts these on the machines)

Also Really annoying the total does not go down after redemption. This causes havoc as in the eyes of some stores owners I appear suspicions running a $100 ticket and paying with a OLG gift card unfamiliar to them .

Biffalo Buff

Post by Biffalo Buff » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:21 pm

Twice I had an employee ask me to wait around while they called OLG to ask why the total due didn’t go down when I paid with a a gift card. Both times took about 30 minutes for the retailer to get through to someone on the phone at OLG, explain the situation, and finally be told “yeah that’s normal”. Fortunately after today’s props plays I am just about done with the current stack of gift cards. We will find out on Nov. 22 if it was worth all the hassle.

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:31 pm

Darn sorry to hear you guys had such negative experiences. They better be worth the hassle lol