Minimum bankroll

The math of winning at proline. Edge play, bankroll management and related issues.
pedge

Minimum bankroll

Post by pedge » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone would know how to calculate the minimum bankroll to start out with? I know there is many factors that you need, such as a certain percentage for the player edge.

bangminton

Re: Minimum bankroll

Post by bangminton » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:50 am

pedge, first off welcome to the forum. Make yourself at home and there is a wealth of info in past threads so feel free to have a look when you have time.

Secondly, you pretty much answer your own questions when you said there are many factors to decide what the minimum bankroll should be. Are you going to play any combo with at least 5% edge or more? Are you going to only play ProLine and PointSpread or will you dabble in Props as well where edges may not be as clear cut as the first 2 games? Different players calculate edges for Props differently so keep that in mind.

As a general guide, I can suggest $10K and you can look at threads created by ProlinePlayer and McGuire for ideas and input. They also started with $10K BR.

Good luck with whatever you decide and welcome aboard!

pedge

Post by pedge » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:50 am

thank you.

McGuire72

Post by McGuire72 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:20 am

I started out here in ALC with a 10k bankroll. That said, I don't believe it's necessary to have so much banked up initially. When I FIRST started three or four years ago in Ontario, I had just a $2000 dedicated bankroll. Now, I also had full confidence that, should I go broke, I can always reload my bankroll and start again from scratch, so it was kind of a "soft" cap in that sense. $2000 bankrolls require careful management and discipline to keep it under budget. They also require, I believe, a certain amount of luck to get off the ground. If you can afford a $10k bankroll, it's definitely a lot easier to manage and leaves more room to hit certain opportunities hard when you want to.