Points from gas stations

The math of winning at proline. Edge play, bankroll management and related issues.
kbet

Re: Points from gas stations

Post by kbet » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:54 pm

richhhh wrote:
kbet wrote:The best thing to do with PC gift card at Loblaws is buy Esso/Petro Canada/Shell gift cards at the self-checkout, then go and buy PL there instead.
Are you saying you can buy gift cards at a self checkout and then buy gift cards with gift cards at a self checkout?
Yes, you can buy Esso gift cards (or whatever) at the self-checkout, and pay with PC gift card at Loblaws stores. I mean you can do it in the regular checkout line as well, but the cashiers sometimes question it, and then you need to argue with a manager, and show them on the back it says you can buy anything in the store with it. If you use the self-checkout, nobody bothers you, as long as you keep the transaction amount to less than $500. I do it all the time!

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:28 pm

Man I could on for hours about the many problems I have with stores for various gift card buying problems I am amazed you are getting that done. Never have i even tried to buy gift card with gift cards .

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:39 am

Speaking of issues I am going to give important advice .Maybe one day I will write a lengthy post about the shit I dealt with.

If you are constantly buying large amounts of gift cards or other unusual translations you are running the risk of a banks terminating your accounts. You will not be giving a reason to why EVER regardless of any actions you take. These decisions are from head office and even your branch manager is left in the dark. Any conversation is strictly to some legal talking dickhead.

You might be thinking this is crazy talk or I am leaving something out . I was with been RBC for 20+ years. I had mortgages with them/credit cards/home equity line/tax free saving account/us account/kids education saving plans/checking/savings/investments accounts. I have excellent credit never pay a dime in interest and have never been late paying anything ever and then I received a letter delivered in early February this year by UPS from RBC about the terminating of our banking relationship. Please note Rbc charged me to break mortgage's early . They charged me to close home equity line which I never used and all other types of fee's for closing accounts.(I repeat out of nowhere they terminate my relationship with them give no reason to why while also charging me for such things as breaking mortgage early penalty's )

I got out of this ok, My mortgages for rentals were not a concern to pay off but better to be mortgaged for taxes. Scotiabank literally paid me thousands to join them and covered some of the fee's and after months of battling with RBC they reimbursed all fee's. I can imagine tho others may not be lucky. What happens if said person could not get a new mortgage or had debt. Nothing good.
If this would shake your life up pretty good . I recommend having a separate bank for unusual transactions away from everything else. My best guess to why this happen to me is I was flagged by fintrac which lead them to inquiries to RBC about my financial behavior. RBC is not allowed to disclose that I am being investigated but they can however make the assumption that x many people being investigated get there assets seized and when that happens RBC name is attached to said assets and maybe they are financially at risk some how so ditching me is there best coarse of action. Just a guess tho. I am also not alone . This happen to others. This turn out to be a long post. I tried to avoid that. It could be much longer...

zoo99

Post by zoo99 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:18 am

This is probably the best advice I've come across on any of these fourms. It's unreal how sports lottery people are treated compared to number lottery winners. It's almost like there's this jealous/bitter attitude towards winning on sports lotteries. I was jgot a very good Cashback card 3% from my main bank but I guess I will be scrapping plans to use that for any lottery purchases.
In the past I have got customer financial forms that ask you to disclose where you are getting the cash to make payments from.
It's crazy that we have to try and "launder" money that we won fairly and legally. Now I'm not sure to do with all the cash, you deposit anywhere and you get flagged for suspcious transactions. One thing I know for sure is ALWAYS get your winning signed tickets and payout receipts when you cash, I have shoeboxes full of them, and I'm certain I will at the very least have to show an auditor one day them.

kbet

Post by kbet » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:18 am

richhhh wrote:Man I could on for hours about the many problems I have with stores for various gift card buying problems I am amazed you are getting that done. Never have i even tried to buy gift card with gift cards .
Another tip: Sobeys also lets you buy gift cards with gift cards, but not at the self-checkout. Whenever Sobeys has buy $150 gift card and get 150 Air Miles deal, I buy the maximum of 5 cards, then use some for lottery at the store, buy some OLG gift cards, and Esso/Petro/Shell gift cards with the rest. (not all at once, but convert ~$300 at a time, whenever I'm there)

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:13 pm

That's terrible Rich, the government is ever encroaching on our wallets. Just the other day I heard news CRA is requesting info from PayPal now.

Also I didn't know Sobey lets you play lotto there with gift cards. Usually I use their GC to buy grocery at Freshco which is much cheaper.

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:17 pm

btw shell out west in MB is having a promotion of 5x air miles on stores purchases. Too bad I am far away but I suppose if you live in Kenora or have someone coming from MB to ON it may be worth a drive to load up.

red_falcon

Post by red_falcon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:13 pm

zoo99 wrote:This is probably the best advice I've come across on any of these fourms. It's unreal how sports lottery people are treated compared to number lottery winners. It's almost like there's this jealous/bitter attitude towards winning on sports lotteries. I was jgot a very good Cashback card 3% from my main bank but I guess I will be scrapping plans to use that for any lottery purchases.
In the past I have got customer financial forms that ask you to disclose where you are getting the cash to make payments from.
It's crazy that we have to try and "launder" money that we won fairly and legally. Now I'm not sure to do with all the cash, you deposit anywhere and you get flagged for suspcious transactions. One thing I know for sure is ALWAYS get your winning signed tickets and payout receipts when you cash, I have shoeboxes full of them, and I'm certain I will at the very least have to show an auditor one day them.

This sounds awfully similar to what happened to the LeBlanc brothers after winning, but on another level of pervasiveness.

Red.

Legal_Bookie

Post by Legal_Bookie » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:02 am

red_falcon wrote:
zoo99 wrote:This is probably the best advice I've come across on any of these fourms. It's unreal how sports lottery people are treated compared to number lottery winners. It's almost like there's this jealous/bitter attitude towards winning on sports lotteries. I was jgot a very good Cashback card 3% from my main bank but I guess I will be scrapping plans to use that for any lottery purchases.

This sounds awfully similar to what happened to the LeBlanc brothers after winning, but on another level of pervasiveness.
Don't forget the veroni brothers too
Red.

Legal_Bookie

Post by Legal_Bookie » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:03 am

tshi2015 wrote:btw shell out west in MB is having a promotion of 5x air miles on stores purchases. Too bad I am far away but I suppose if you live in Kenora or have someone coming from MB to ON it may be worth a drive to load up.
My uncle z lives out there ill tell him