Points from gas stations

The math of winning at proline. Edge play, bankroll management and related issues.
richhhh

Re: Points from gas stations

Post by richhhh » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:31 pm

So I am still waiting for my 20 petro gift cards lmao. Not that it is late or anything but was hoping to confirm they work and buy more as they are still for sale. While I was searching gift Cards I noticed that many people buy gifts cards for more then face value? Only thing I can think of is they are getting some sort of rebate with buying from ebay with ebay making this profitable for them? Anyone have any info on this? Honestly its the only reason I can see buying gift cards for more then face value.

Im thinking possibly ?

Try to buy gift cards for less then face value (profit$)
Use credit card for the purchase (reward profit)
Get rebate or something on ebay for purchases (reward profit or cash off purchases?)
Use points card at store with the purchased gift cards (reward profit)

Quadruple dip :lol:

red_falcon

Post by red_falcon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:05 pm

richhhh wrote: Im thinking possibly ?

Try to buy gift cards for less then face value (profit$)
Use credit card for the purchase (reward profit)
Get rebate or something on ebay for purchases (reward profit or cash off purchases?)
Use points card at store with the purchased gift cards (reward profit)

Quadruple dip :lol:
Quads huh? The most I've ever had was trips.... Lol

Red.

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:46 pm

Just a heads up that petro gift cards is being sold again and for a dollar cheaper, still waiting for mine from last time they were on sale. You are limited to only buying 5 which I did last time and will do again.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/188-99-for-4-50- ... Swf-VWWInc

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:19 pm

Went ahead and purchased 5 more for the cost of C $944.95. So I will recieve 1000$ in gift cards for petro and 5 cards for fuel savings of 5cents of a litre for 500 litres which do have a sticker price of 25$ but to me are worthless. I also signed up to ebates and will receive cashback of 1% of purchase.

So the quad dip looks like this

55.05$ (gift card value - price)
9.44$ (1 percent cashback credit card)
9.44$ (1 percent cashback ebates)
28$ (2.8% of petro rewards on 1000$)

=101.93$

Biffalo Buff

Post by Biffalo Buff » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:46 pm

10% off! That's awesome!

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:44 pm

In case anyone like a update.Got my first order of gift cards, Played the 1000$ and all worked. Took one min to activated all cards. There was a delay in the activation as they did not work 1 hour after activation but worked couple hours after. So if these keep coming up for sale I will be purchasing them.

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:22 pm

I have registered to card swap which sells gift cards, there is nothing special in term of savings compared to petro as 1% or 2% is all that will be offered. But today I used several stores included a esso,candian tire and shoppers drugmart all of which I will only receive cash back via credit card. I was able to buy gift cards at card swap which would give me a additional 2% on all those stores.Ill update my experiences with this approach.

bangminton

Post by bangminton » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Not sure if you guys have experienced this but I recently put more than $100 through at a Shoppers' using a credit card and the cashier asked me for a piece of ID.

I always have my driver's license with me when I go out so this is not an issue. Apparently, this policy (asking for ID if you are going to spend more than $100 on lottery and gift card purchases using a credit card) has been in place for over a year, presumably to combat fraud, but I suppose it has been loosely enforced.

Just a FYI as I don't know whether this applies to other pharmacy chains (Rexall, Guardian) and/or other retailers.

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:33 pm

So second batch of gift cards from ebay worked with no problem, cardswap.ca gift cards also worked. At card swap I purchased reloadedable cards. So for petro for instance I can reload my card instantly so I earn 2% from cardswap +1% from my credit card + 2.8% in petro points for a total of 5.8%. Being able to do this with popular gas stations makes this a realistic option to get over 5% return on a larger percentage of my plays. I realize some of you have credit cards which can receive this type of return which is way less of a hassle . I recently did some research on these high return credit cards. One thing I noticed is that they cap the high return at 25000$ etc... not only that some only pay you the cash back once a year so say you cap your high return rate in the first month you cannot simple cancel that card as you will lose your cashback for canceling. Maybe not the case for all credit cards but some anyways.

I was recently denied a credit card but approved for mortgage lmao. Rbc has this financial tracker which is a displayed in a pie graph. It shows in the pie where you are spending your money. The last few months I have been consistently using my credit card and my pie chart has 95% of my spending on gas :lol: Rbc financial representative had a couple questions "Sir have you considered a car with better fuel economy? " "Sir do you just drive around all day long with a hole in your gastank?" "Sir there is something unusual with your spending" " sir if you dont mind could you please explain the 370 transactions on your credit card last month"

Lmao I love this stuff.

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:57 am

Your turn to provide a way for cashback biff :lol: