Points from gas stations

The math of winning at proline. Edge play, bankroll management and related issues.
tshi2015

Re: Points from gas stations

Post by tshi2015 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:46 am

Same here guys

Biffalo Buff

Post by Biffalo Buff » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:57 pm

Round three starts tomorrow. That’s right this will be your third chance to load up on gift cards without having anything to spend them on. So I’ll be out tomorrow morning holding up lines and getting dirty looks at any stores that have had a chance to restock. And here’s a pro tip for you: buy a pack of gum with your cards and skip the argument about whether or not the cashier will scan your points card.

And when those points come rolling in...it will be nothing but name brand groceries for this guy. Out of the way macaroni and cheese. Hello Kraft Dinner with Heinz ketchup.

zoo99

Post by zoo99 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:56 pm

As much as I love these deals it pains me to know what awaits at these store when I go to purchase the gift cards.calls to the managers,staff huddles,checking drivers license etc some stores randomly limiting cards, others insisting you won't get points. Others seem offened that youre buying so many.
I usually just shrug it off and play dumb but man it can be a chore. Even when you get a store that will do a boatload with no problem I've stood there while they've insisted on tapeing the little receipt to each of dozens of cards even though I tell them repeatedly it's okay, lol.
Oh well, it's well worth it even though it's can also be a pain in the ass to redeem them, had one petro Canada today tell me they don't accept them even.
On the Brightside I did find a shoppers with a nice electronics section, good selection of cell phones, laptops etc

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:53 pm

I usually go at night when there's no line up, otherwise hate it when there's giant line behind you.

kbet

Post by kbet » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:58 am

so I bought $1000 at SDM over the weekend. I went again yesterday to get more, and now there is a $200 limit per person. Apparently because "somebody" :lol: bought $1000 a few days earlier, and they are worried about fraud. Isn't that why they created chip and PIN credit cards? so dumb.

zoo99

Post by zoo99 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:15 pm

kbet wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:58 am
so I bought $1000 at SDM over the weekend. I went again yesterday to get more, and now there is a $200 limit per person. Apparently because "somebody" :lol: bought $1000 a few days earlier, and they are worried about fraud. Isn't that why they created chip and PIN credit cards? so dumb.

I offer to show my drivers license to match the credit card, this usually works for me.

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:56 pm

Welcome back everyone, might be hard to take the entire summer off this year!

I have to say I really enjoy reading the issues you guys have with these. Its just fantastic to know I am not the only one. I could write a best seller book with the various issues I have had. Sometimes I feel I am absorbing all issues for everyone. Good luck everyone and I wish you all a horrific time purchasing and redeeming these cards.Make sure to have a can do attitude.
"we dont take these cards" Fantastic!
" You cannot buy that many" Yuppie!
" You cannot pay by credit card" Suberb!
"We do not accept $100 bills" Great!
"No you dont get points for gifts cards so not going to scan your optimum cards" Even Better!
" We have to do these in $100 transactions" No problem!
" One per customer " Thats awesome!
" are you under stress or being scammed " Hell yeah!
" Im going to have to get the manager " Perfect!
" The cards are not scanning" Booyaa!
" Let call OLG" What a great idea!
" im going to tape each receipt t0 each card for you" So kind!
" we will have to call your credit card company" For sure!
" Can you come back later" Yes!
" I am not sure if we should call the cops" Oink Oink!
" No I will not open a lane just for you" Thanks I was being selfish!
" We not supposed to sell you these" I am special!
" shoppers does not take these cards" mmmmkkk!

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:36 pm

would love for RCSS/loblaws to have this promotion back again, that way can use self checkout so these stupid cashier don't have to convince me I am being scammed. Also love the face expression of no frills employee when they see you have few million points.

zoo99

Post by zoo99 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:13 am

richhhh wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:56 pm
Welcome back everyone, might be hard to take the entire summer off this year!

I have to say I really enjoy reading the issues you guys have with these. Its just fantastic to know I am not the only one. I could write a best seller book with the various issues I have had. Sometimes I feel I am absorbing all issues for everyone. Good luck everyone and I wish you all a horrific time purchasing and redeeming these cards.Make sure to have a can do attitude.
"we dont take these cards" Fantastic!
" You cannot buy that many" Yuppie!
" You cannot pay by credit card" Suberb!
"We do not accept $100 bills" Great!
"No you dont get points for gifts cards so not going to scan your optimum cards" Even Better!
" We have to do these in $100 transactions" No problem!
" One per customer " Thats awesome!
" are you under stress or being scammed " Hell yeah!
" Im going to have to get the manager " Perfect!
" The cards are not scanning" Booyaa!
" Let call OLG" What a great idea!
" im going to tape each receipt t0 each card for you" So kind!
" we will have to call your credit card company" For sure!
" Can you come back later" Yes!
" I am not sure if we should call the cops" Oink Oink!
" No I will not open a lane just for you" Thanks I was being selfish!
" We not supposed to sell you these" I am special!
" shoppers does not take these cards" mmmmkkk!
Holy shit I actually laughed out loud at this list, I can honestly say I have experienced every single one of these scenarios. A couple more good ones on the last round were:
Me: I don't see any olg gift cards on the rack, would you mind checking bin of gift cards behind the counter please
Them: sorry sir whatever we have is on the rack
Me: last time you had a couple stacks in the bin, can you check please
Them: we dont keep them there
Back and forth until I ask them to just humour me and check and what do you know it's a miracle there's a stack of cards, magic!

Good one last wave was store insisted on calling credit card company to pre-authorize my $2500 purchase so I just rolled with it, sure. Made zero sense they preauth on phone for $2500 and then proceed to ring in sale on a seperate transaction through machine with pin. So they tie up 2500 on my card and then charge the another 2500. I just play along, I can't find the strength to engage anymore, lol.

Also good one was I had a stack of $25 and $20-100 cards, cashier calls manager and she sees the stack of 25's, she says I can only buy 10 cards max, so I give her all the 25's back and have the cashier ring in 10 $100 cards, you would think I punched their babies in the face with the looks they gave me.

I got so many of these, Sobeys was a good one in the winter, the one store had tons of $100 ones so I really wanted to close the sale but was getting pushback from managers, they thought I was somehow scamming them, I offered to pay by credit card, nope, how about I pay cash?nope, we need to call our national fraud manager. So okay I figure this person will realize it's impossible for me to scam them when I'm the one giving them the cash and they'll surely give the green light, nope.

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:53 am

So one store in Kitchener wanted to pre-authorize when I bought $500 because they said anything over $300 needs pre-authorization. So I brought out 2K in cards from the entire rack and said go ahead pre-authorize me on $2000, the cashier probably had an aneurysm spending the next 15 minutes scanning them lol.

btw I still don't understand why they insist on taping each little slip to the back of the card wasting 5 minutes, when there's like 6 people behind in the lines

The best was Eastern european lady at cashier at a "good" store thought the cards were same as tickets so she gladly scanned all of them and said if I win jackpot she gets half the prize :lol: