Points from gas stations

The math of winning at proline. Edge play, bankroll management and related issues.
red_falcon

Re: Points from gas stations

Post by red_falcon » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:55 pm

tshi2015 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:44 pm
New Tangerine World MC is piece of s***, twice this week I tried to buy CT GC from shopper, only to have it declined because they put some kind of security monitor on my card because I purchase too much GC, even though with the previous Tangerine MC I had no issue at all.

Spent 30+ min waiting on the phone for a security rep, horrible, doesn't care about a long time customer who spends a ton on their MC!
Tshi, I would never buy GC's by itself. You gotta buy something to offset it... like a bag of chips, pop or whatever... anything that's will throw them off their tracks.

Red. =)

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:04 pm

CT gift cards on sale 25/300 at sobey/foodland again, not much use except gas is ridiculously cheap these days lol

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Sun May 03, 2020 4:43 pm

From May 2 - May 8, buy $50 OLG card at Shopper and get 10 000 pc points

Biffalo Buff

Post by Biffalo Buff » Mon May 04, 2020 1:34 pm

Combine it with a PCF MC for up to 23% back in points. It is nice to know from experience that the points tend to be paid either on time or early without the need to kick up a fuss.

We have to balance the upside with some uncertainty of when these can be used. Anyone planning to load up on these?

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Mon May 04, 2020 4:41 pm

Tried 1, points are not immediate. In the fine print it says points to be awarded in 2-4 weeks, will keep receipt until that happens, but not planning to buy much more.

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Fri May 08, 2020 9:32 am

Does anyone know if these gifts cards are being phase out? I had my suspicions months ago when after the initial offer I bought out stores in my area and to this day have not been restocked albeit a couple of of them. Most stores just have the few $25 cards i left. I was kinda thinking its possible they are just getting rid of stock with a promotion as otherwise no one would buy them hopefully I am wrong and they just promoting awareness of them.
Hope everyone is well

Biffalo Buff

Post by Biffalo Buff » Fri May 08, 2020 12:46 pm

My guess is that they are not phasing out the cards. It would be much cheaper to simply destroy them than to sell them for 80% off. I think you are right about promoting them. However two SDM I went to were completely sold out of the variable load cards, and I suspect they have been since I cleared them out whenever the last promotion was months ago. They probably just have poor inventory monitoring. Whenever I find $25 cards in the variable load ($100) card slot I move them to make sure that the variable load slot looks empty, in the hopes that this will increase the chance of them being restocked.

Has anyone tried to reload these gift cards? They do say reloadable. I tried once and was turned away saying that they didn’t do that. I’m not sure I believed them but I didn’t push the issue. Also, has anyone tried to buy these cards with the self check out? The few times I have asked “can I buy these at the self-check out?” the cashier has walked over with me and scanned them herself at the self checkout. I don’t know if she had to type in an override code or something. I suspect she did. I might try again this weekend. Wearing my mask of course. I hope you are all doing well.

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Fri May 08, 2020 1:58 pm

No you cannot buy then at self checkout, variable load or fixed load, neither works when I tried this year
SDM where I live are well stocked with OLG cards, it's a third part vendor that restocks these sound like, not the store themselves
You can reload them but most stores never did that so it's not worth the effort for them.

richhhh

Post by richhhh » Sat May 09, 2020 10:59 am

tshi2015 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:43 pm
From May 2 - May 8, buy $50 OLG card at Shopper and get 10 000 pc points
Also should note with this offer it specifically mentioned for every $50 spent in the ad completely removing the past confusion about if there was a limit/do you need to load $50 /separate transactions etc.. that we dealt with prior. However Shoppers annoyingly makes you wait to get the points which itself is not a issue but getting them instantly is definitely more reassuring as I do not think anyone would be shocked if out of nowhere they decide no were not giving these points out regardless of history of honouring them. Basically I treat these with caution. I buy less then I would if the points were instant.

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Sat May 09, 2020 11:40 am

Makes sense rich, I always keep all receipt for these and have to track points later, definitely not as good as loblaws deal last year with instant points