Optimize Boxing

The math of winning at proline. Edge play, bankroll management and related issues.
Kaboshed

Optimize Boxing

Post by Kaboshed » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:11 am

Hello, when you select Optimize Boxing in the PLP program am I correct in saying the parlay list does not accurately reflect what is printed out in tickets? I thought I read somewhere that the boxing only happens at print. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could point me towards a post that explains this or explain it themselves.

thanks.

ProlinePlayer
Site Admin

Re: Optimize Boxing

Post by ProlinePlayer » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:30 pm

Kaboshed wrote:Hello, when you select Optimize Boxing in the PLP program am I correct in saying the parlay list does not accurately reflect what is printed out in tickets? I thought I read somewhere that the boxing only happens at print. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could point me towards a post that explains this or explain it themselves.

thanks.

You've got it right. The panel which shows the list of parlays does not add in the boxed games.

The boxing of games is only relevant for Ontario Pointspread plays. Open up an Ontario Pointspread tab. With the PS tab open go to the menu bar and under 'Parlay List/List Display Options' ensure that 'Box Game' is checked. This will add a column to the display panel which shows if a parlay should have an additional game boxed in.
If you are doing the tickets manually then when writing up the tickets just divide the bet in half and add the boxed game to each ticket. If using the program to print the tickets then it will handle this for you.

PLP

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:57 pm

This is a similar question.
Say, I like a series of plays which contain up to 3-4 (+1 or -1) spreads in each 5 team parlay. It would be beneficial to box 2 games into each parlay to maximize profits. If all teams would win straight up each ticket (say for 20 dollars each) would pay 400 (20x20) or 375 (5x75) if boxed. But the upside would be if numerous plays push, the parlay would not be brought down to 3 team, 2 team or even the dreaded 1 team that pays horribly. I assume most people know this already.
My question is, how in the parlay maker can I specifically ask it to box in 2 games and to choose the games i would like to box (to make sure addition 1 spread games are not boxed in).

ProlinePlayer
Site Admin

Post by ProlinePlayer » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Malcolm wrote:This is a similar question.
Say, I like a series of plays which contain up to 3-4 (+1 or -1) spreads in each 5 team parlay. It would be beneficial to box 2 games into each parlay to maximize profits. If all teams would win straight up each ticket (say for 20 dollars each) would pay 400 (20x20) or 375 (5x75) if boxed. But the upside would be if numerous plays push, the parlay would not be brought down to 3 team, 2 team or even the dreaded 1 team that pays horribly. I assume most people know this already.
My question is, how in the parlay maker can I specifically ask it to box in 2 games and to choose the games i would like to box (to make sure addition 1 spread games are not boxed in).
At this time I've only done the programming to allow for 1 boxed game. I personally don't think that the amount of effort required to box more games is really worth the extra games. By this I mean the problems of further multiplying the number of actual slips to be printed and then put through at the stores. On some weekends this is already quite a task even with the program turns out the printed slips.

Also there is some errors in your assumptions re the benefits of boxing in additional games. There is no downside to ending up with a 3-teamer for example. Well it does reduce the payout per game, but having boxed games added will not help this. The payout on a 3-teamer+box or a 3-teamer+box+box is no better than the payout on the 3-teamer.
The only benefit from boxing games comes if the parlay ends up being either a 2-teamer or a 6-teamer. In these cases having a boxed game will improve the payout. But it is also important to factor in the downside as well. Yes there is one :) . Should you end up after some pushes with either a 1-teamer or a 5-teamer then the boxed game will now reduce your payout. Although there are no clear rules on this in the end I suspect that boxing 2 games will not gain very often.

If there others feel this may be worthwhile I'll consider do the programming but for now I personally am content with the option to box (1) a game or not.

Hope that helps,

PLP