Couple of suggestions for the forum

Any questions, comments about the odds/edges pages of the prolineplayer.com web site
bangminton

Couple of suggestions for the forum

Post by bangminton » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:40 am

PLP, just a couple of suggestions for the forum before the start of a busy Proline season with football coming back and hockey not too far behind

1. Follow the model at the old BigTip and get people to register and create an account before they can view posts. The way it is right now, you don't have to be a forum member to view anything here, it's wide open. This has a couple of benefits: Improve overall security of the forum and when people have an account, they are more likely to post and share ideas.

2. There is no timestamp or indication that a poster has edited his/her posts at the moment. I think this is important in terms of accountability and integrity.

Just some food for thought.

ProlinePlayer
Site Admin

Re: Couple of suggestions for the forum

Post by ProlinePlayer » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:48 am

bangminton wrote: 1. Follow the model at the old BigTip and get people to register and create an account before they can view posts. The way it is right now, you don't have to be a forum member to view anything here, it's wide open. This has a couple of benefits: Improve overall security of the forum and when people have an account, they are more likely to post and share ideas.
I considered this when I set it up but decided that since we're new to leave it wide open. I don't agree that forcing people to register first will encourage more participation. I know that for myself if I go to a forum and have to register to see the posts I'll just skip it.
Of course that's for now. I am open to changing this later on.
2. There is no timestamp or indication that a poster has edited his/her posts at the moment. I think this is important in terms of accountability and integrity.
I'll check and see if this can be added..

PLP

bangminton

Re: Couple of suggestions for the forum

Post by bangminton » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:46 pm

ProlinePlayer wrote:
bangminton wrote: 1. Follow the model at the old BigTip and get people to register and create an account before they can view posts. The way it is right now, you don't have to be a forum member to view anything here, it's wide open. This has a couple of benefits: Improve overall security of the forum and when people have an account, they are more likely to post and share ideas.
I considered this when I set it up but decided that since we're new to leave it wide open. I don't agree that forcing people to register first will encourage more participation. I know that for myself if I go to a forum and have to register to see the posts I'll just skip it.
Of course that's for now. I am open to changing this later on.
I'll check and see if this can be added..

PLP
I agree with you on this but to a certain point. To me, this forum is pretty unique in the sense that there is no other forum out there talking and doing what we are doing e.g. edge plays (primarily Proline, for now anyway) so if people want to see the goodies, it shouldn't take them more than 3 minutes to register.

Anyhow, just some suggestions on my end to possibly get people to post and what have you.