Pinnacle Lines

This area is for discussion of proline plays. Picks, handicapping and edge plays all welcome.
ProlinePlayer
Site Admin

Pinnacle Lines

Post by ProlinePlayer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:22 am

I am aware of the problem with the Pinnacle lines not being used for updates. At present, the site is using its fallback position of using the Cris lines.

I'm working on the problem. :(

PLP

sharpedgepicks

Re: Pinnacle Lines

Post by sharpedgepicks » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:19 am

Still no solution? These Cris Lines with double VIG, especially for soccer are problematic - much tougher to get ‘real lines’ and assumption of proportionate juice a lot more dubious.

Slips

Post by Slips » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:00 pm

tough nut to crack, god bless

ProlinePlayer
Site Admin

Post by ProlinePlayer » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:19 am

So what do you want first the good news or the bad news ......

The bad,
Pinnacle has decided to block my access to their linefeeds. According to them the use is excessive and puts a strain on their servers (really?!?). I find it hard to believe that a 30-second data download every 15 minutes can be that significant but what do I know. I would have guessed that the drain on their servers from the ads on the site is 100x that at least.
But it is their decision to make and although I appealed to them to reconsider they would not budge. They did suggest that I contact a separate department to contract to pay for the data. It seems that they are hoping to turn their linefeed into an actual revenue stream. How many people would be willing to pay for data that is publicly available I don't know. But I have some doubts.

The good,
Although I have a high opinion of the CRIS lines I realize that a lot of people would not agree. So this forces me to do something which some users have been pushing for already. Turn to other sources of data. In the end, these are probably more accurate than Pinnacle.
The plan, for now, is to continue to use Cris for American major sports but switch to other sources for soccer and anything else where I do not feel Cris is adequate.
This would be either (or a combination of both) Matchbook or Betfair. This requires extensive reprogramming on the site to download and parse the linefeed. I have already spent endless hours working on the Matchbook API and have a working model ready to go. The only thing left is extensive testing but this should be incorporated into the site by the beginning of September.

Once that is up and running I'll begin doing the same for Betfair.

I,m sorry for any temporary inconvenience but think that you'll agree that this will actually result in the even more accurate setting of probabilities.

PLP

MattyKGB

Post by MattyKGB » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:55 am

Thanks PLP - reach out if you’d like help with the modeling / testing aspects.

tshi2015

Post by tshi2015 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:14 am

Thanks for all your work PLP.

sharpedgepicks

Post by sharpedgepicks » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:20 pm

I don't follow. Your PLP odds site has a link/click through to Pinny. Don't you get a piece of the affiliate action when a ProLine visitor to your site clicks on Pinny/signs up? As a partner of theirs, they aren't willing to share their publicly available odds with you in a helpful manner?

bangminton

Post by bangminton » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:55 am

Thanks for trying and keeping us in the loop, PLP!

Harlan is right, CRIS lines were horrible for SCR. Hopefully they are not too far off from Pinny for the major North American sports.

I wonder if other services are also scraping lines off Pinny, for whatever reasons, so yours were not the only one to put a strain on their servers?

sharpedgepicks

Post by sharpedgepicks » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:14 pm

I thought we were ditching Cris for some soccer replacement. This weekend, H56 is shown as a PLP edge b/c Cris has them +827, but they are +1086 at Pinny. Also V68 is +690 on Cris and +901 on Pinny.

Better off doing this yourself than relying on these horrid lines.

Slips

Post by Slips » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:50 pm

Just bet it, to some extent I find bettors overvalue faves in soccer. In a game where a single goal can alter outcomes a big dog seems like value - rare to see 14+ pt dogs win in NFL or even CFB yet seems to happen regularly in soccer.